HomeOur SchoolHistory
Our School

History

Educating generations from Rathdowney and the surrounding area since 1937.

St. Fergal’s College has educated many generations of people from the local and surrounding area since its foundation in 1937.

1931

Early Beginnings

Adult classes in domestic science and woodwork are held in the local Ossory Agricultural Society hall and later in a small house beside the convent gates.

1932

Vocational Education Established

27 day-students and 92 adult evening-class attendees in Rathdowney mark the establishment of continuing vocational education locally.

1937

Foundation

The school acquires its present site (then known as the Circus Field) and opens a purpose-built building with three rooms — Domestic Science, Science, and Woodwork — under Principal Patrick Hoare.

1965

Expansion

A metalwork room and a commerce room are added as the school expands its practical subjects.

1972

Leaving Certificate

Students sit the Leaving Certificate for the first time, allowing full secondary-level education to be completed at Rathdowney.

1987

Major Building Project

A new building project commences to provide modern general-purpose classrooms, a science suite, IT facilities and administration space.

1989

Renamed St Fergal's College

The school is officially renamed "St Fergal's College" and commences with approximately 470 pupils.

1996

Further Expansion

A new building with classrooms and a science room is added.

1997

Land Purchase

The school purchases 4.7 acres of land to create two large pitches and a training area.

2012

Unified Campus

A new building is completed, connecting the separate structures into one unified school building, including three new classrooms, a science room, an art room, meeting rooms and offices.

Scroll to Top